[OM] Re: Hi-res shootout

Subject: [OM] Re: Hi-res shootout
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 15:46:13 -0700 (PDT)
It would have been interesting to rather see a B&W cut film comparison (delta
or t-max), as the
high res blow up of the dollar bills might as well have been B&W.  The lenses
may be more of a
limit then, since the B&W is so much better than Velvia.

Another wrinkle to see effects would have been pure analog blow ups of selected
sections of
negative image only scanned after the blowup (to allow web viewing and minimise
scanner effects)
to simulate analog printing of large image,rather than the added in effects of
drum scan errors.

For people doing your own negative comparisons at home, I guess a good
microscope with camera
attachment is a much easier/cheaper/better comparison, somewhat along these
lines. CH has done
some of his own OM film tests like that. The nice thing is the microscope can
be focused on the
one small part of film to be examined, so you don't have focus and uniformity
issues of full frame
scan.

Tim Hughes