[OM] Re: #096 (the english summer)

Subject: [OM] Re: #096 (the english summer)
From: "Christos Stavrou" <christos.stavrou@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 15:10:23 +0100
On 5/17/06, Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ah, fine.  And there I was thinking you were in foreign parts ;-)
>
> Chris

Haha!.. Oh, I hope you didn't get me wrong..
My little satirical piece does not deny how glorious the summer here is...
But that's the point! It is good and so enjoyed.. and yet so unpredictable,
so scarce, so elusive!... hardly ever enough...

Someone  would rather realise how it's become almost idealised, if had the
chance to listen people talking about a specific summer, such as of '76,
etc.. In other words, Hot and Long summers pass to the social discouse of
myth, of a legend! :-)

Compare now this with the places where summer means a way of life, where the
warm feeling in the skin, the uninterrupted sunshine and the outgoing life
are taken for granted.. so they're hardly noticed.

And it's a pitty, because at least in our urban, gloomy and rather 'ugly'
northern english parts, abit of  sun transforms the whole society, from the
way the cities look beautiful to the way people behave...

So, photographs hardly capture all of these things.. what it means and how
the 'wonderful english summer' is experienced!
What else? Oh yes, let's hope this year we'll have a great one that will
survive in memory :-)

Christos

ps: in any case I hope there are some cheap flights too :)