[OM] [OT] More OT electrical advice needed

Subject: [OM] [OT] More OT electrical advice needed
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 11:33:21 -0400
Sometime after I moved into this house I noticed that the wiring of the
air conditioner's air handler unit in the basement had not been
completed properly.  (probably due to a dispute with the builder who was
going bankrupt and likely paying off the local building inspectors)

In any case, the air handler has a 230v line coming in inside a conduit
which runs into a junction box.  The 230v stuff arrives at an on/off
switch whose outputs continue into the air handler to run the motor but
also divide off 115v into a single socket outlet to operate a small
condensate pump (since there is no floor drain).

The junction box used appears to be a ceiling box with no cover and the
switch and outlet were just dangling on their wires half in and half out
of the box.  I finally resolved to fix this problem and went to Home
Depot where I procured a double device cover for the junction box, a
combination switch & double outlet cover plate and a double socket
outlet to replace the single one and be compatible with the cover plate.

While trying to poke everything back into place I noticed that the 115v
socket had no ground wire.  The ground wire ends at the on/off switch
and is not jumpered to the 115v socket.  The on/off switch, of course is
carrying 230v.  I assume that I should simply run a jumper wire between
the ground screws of the switch and the socket but it bothers me that
I'll have a common ground between 230v on one side and 115v on the
other.  I have assumed the jumper is the correct solution since I can't
imagine any other.  But alternating current has always been a near total
mystery to me and thought I'd ask before committing any serious
electrical sins.

Chuck Norcutt