[OM] Re: [OT] More OT electrical advice needed

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] More OT electrical advice needed
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 22:40:35 -0700
Chuck,

The digest is down so I'm coming into this thread a little late.

It sounds to me like the box was mostly correctly wired...but check a
few things.

-4 wires coming in at the 230v box, black, red, white ground.
Originating from a _single_ breaker in the main panel, not two ganged
together. At this incoming point you should have a service disconnect.

-From there to the 120v outlet box tapped into either the black or the
red wire _not both_, plus the white wire and the ground. If the ground
wire is lacking then run a ground wire. This is a 'three legged circuit'
with a shared neutral and is perfectly acceptable if the combined load
on that leg of the 230v circuit doesn't exceed the design load. Also the
red and black wires must come from opposite phases of the main coming
into the house. Taken care of at the main panel by using a single double
breaker. This way the neutral wire is not overloaded.

-It isn't clear to me whether the AC requires 230v or 110v, but probably
230v. If so then the black _and_ red wires will go to the AC along with
a ground wire. and maybe the white or maybe not. It will only require
the white wire if it has 120v components inside. It will also require a
service disconnect which is maybe your switch?  Remember that you can
easily and cheaply switch off the AC using one leg of the 230v while
leaving the other leg hot. Potential danger!  So it is important that
the service disconnect cuts off the juice to both legs of the circuit!
This type of disconnect costs a lot more $$ than a $3 light switch. You
may be able to use the disconnect at the point the power comes into the
room but you will also turn off power to the outlet which might not be good.

Hope this helps. If not have your survivors send me your OM's :>)

Mike