[OM] Re: [OT] More OT electrical advice needed

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] More OT electrical advice needed
From: "Geilfuss Charles" <Charles.Geilfuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 08:59:55 -0500
        I had a similar problem a few years back. One evening I lost
power to half my house; and in seemingly random distribution. I looked
in the breaker box and none of the breakers were tripped. Now I'm really
scratching my head: how the hell do you lose half the power to your
house? I called the power company and much to my amazement they showed
up in about 30 minutes (it was 10pm). I described the problem and he
immediately said " No problem, you just lost one leg." Just as Steve
described, there are two 115V lines coming into the house that electrify
different zones. Where 230V are needed, they come together in some
fashion I don't pretend to understand (sort of like digital photography)
to give 230V. Turned out one of my underground lines had a break in the
insulation and after some recent heavy rains the water table was up high
enough to short it to ground. For the evening he hooked up a splitter
that distributed power from one 115V line to both circuits of the house
with the advice to not run the electric range and clothes dryer at the
same time. The next day the Day Crew arrived to make a permanent fix.
        Live and learn.

Charlie