[OM] Re: Eb*y bids blocked - why?

Subject: [OM] Re: Eb*y bids blocked - why?
From: DACattani@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 23:17:47 EDT

In a message dated 5/21/2006 7:49:11 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
mwalters@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

I think  you have the answer, though for it to work there has to be an
easy way to  create the black list of addresses. Maybe the Eb*y database
is accessible,  as it would have both country of residence and e-mail
address. I'd be  interested if there's any way sellers can block proxy
bidding (ie,  sniping).

Hi Martin,

I don't think that eBay currently has a system for blocking  sniping. But
then again, I really haven't researched it.

I don't really think there's a black list per se. The list I create is a
personal seller preference setup feature. When someone emails me from say....
China, and wants to bid on an auction that I have electronically configures to
exclude bids from anyone other than US registered bidders, I check his ebay
rating, send him a quote for shipping assuming his rating is good. Then I add
his user name to my buyers exception list. That allows the eBay computer to
accept a bid from that buyer.

I know that this feature works pretty well. One bidder from Japan tried to
bid on an auction of mine a few weeks ago, but the eBay computer wouldn't take
it until he emailed me, and I changed my preference to allow him "in" to my
auction. He ended up buying my Olympus Case L with a Buy It Now.

Dave