[OM] Re: ZD 11-22mm

Subject: [OM] Re: ZD 11-22mm
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 13:40:08 -0600
> Anyone have any experience with the 11-22 lens? I have the 14-54 and I am
> wondering if the 11-22 is worth the $$ to get wider angle. Should I just look
> into the 8mm Fisheye or a OM Fisheye for wide angle? The 7-14mm is out of my
> price range.

  I got the 11-22, and to second (fifth?) the other people's opinions,
yup, it's a great lens. The image quality is superb, and while it may
only sound like it's "3mm" wider, it's effectively a 22mm lens [1], and
that would definitely be plenty wide enough on film for most things.

  It's also a useful range -- a "22-44" zoom is very handy for taking
shots in cities where the width makes up for not being able to take that
extra step back, or in landscapes where maybe you could take the extra
step back but there would be an awful lot of them -- but at the longer
end it's a fairly normal perspective.

  The 7-14 is, I'm sure, a heap of fun, but it's a lot more expensive, a
lot bigger, a lot heavier, and doesn't take filters -- I always have a
UV filter on my lenses because I tend to stick them into things that
maybe I shouldn't, and so I like being able to do that to the 11-22.

  -- dan

[1] Roughly, given it's 4:3 rather than 3:2.