[OM] Re: First Zuiko shots on 5D - and praise for the WhiBal

Subject: [OM] Re: First Zuiko shots on 5D - and praise for the WhiBal
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 15:50:52 -0700 (PDT)
> My disinclination to go out shooting had nothing to do with
> the issue  you raise. Plastic bag, umbrella, big hat,
> courage, there are plenty of ways to shoot in the rain. And
> it didn't rain steadily, plenty of breaks.

Yeah, I find the camera to generally be more willing than me.

> My choice had much more to do with the fact that I was playing
> with a new body,

Ah, the truth comes out. :)  They're will be plenty of
opportunities to take pictures with it--but for now, it's button
pressing time.  I've been going through this these past several
weeks with a new hunk of pro audio gear.  Man, that could have
put a serious dent in a *NEW* pro-spec camera, but I'm equally
as entrenched in the audio biz as I am in the photo biz.
(actually, more so). Anyway, there's nothing like a shiny new
toy with 10-million buttons and menus to cause serious sleep
deprivation and the angst of your S.O. If the item is complex
enough, you can milk an entire month of sleeplessness out of it.

> And better than 12 in the house? Unless, of course, one is in
> the house with them...

I've been there, done that.  Yabe has helped equalize that ratio
quite a bit recently.  My kit has always been relatively
minimalistic, but it's getting obscenely so.  One of these days,
when I finally get around to shedding film...  I do have an
agreement with the CDFO that a new mega-million-pixel
full-framed dohickydoo (with appropriate thumb jobby) will kill
off the film altogether.  :(  I can't dwell on that thought too
much, though.  The tears well up in my eyes...  It's bad enough
shuttering the darkroom.  (still open for business BTW--get your
prints done now!!!)

Funny side story about Yabe.  Several years ago I was given a
couple of old reel-to-reel tape recorders.  They've sat in the
garage ever since--totally unusable for anything today.  Well,
I've had to retrieve them from the curb on junk pick-up-day a
couple of times and even the suggestion of Yabe has been raised.
 The current value of said items is a bit dicy, so we made the
decision that they will go into long-term storage in hopes that
they'll have some value in 25 years.  One of them is already
pushing 50 years.  They don't take up much space and they can't
hurt anything.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com