[OM] Re: [Way OT] Allison on the north shore was; Re: 5D heart attack, w

Subject: [OM] Re: [Way OT] Allison on the north shore was; Re: 5D heart attack, was: Re: Hi-res shootout
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 07:55:39 -0700
Thank you Chuck,
I guess when reading reviews by non-Olympus users I'm going to have to pay
attention to what camera it was used on. A camera with a less than full
frame sensor could give a different impression. I also briefly saw some good
things said about the C*non 28-80mm f2.8-4

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Jeff Keller wrote:

 > If you found any good reviews of the Tokina I would appreciate a link to
 > them.
 > TIA,

There
are 11 reviews by owners at
<http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=236&sort=7&cat=40&page=1>
A few people rate it rather negatively but most rate it very highly.

I considered the Tamron since it's rated very high optically and is
considerably cheaper and lighter.  In the end I rejected it based on
build quality (plastic vs. metal), the fact that the lens extends during
focusing and the filter size.  The Tamron takes a smaller, less
expensive filter but it's a different size than my next planned
acquisition... a 70/80-200 2.8 which all seem to want a 77mm filter just
like the Tokina 28-80.

Yes, so far I love the Tokina but I would only buy a new one.  This lens
has been around for quite some time but I don't think it's the same
thing as was sold 5 years ago.  I think it has been optically and
mechanically updated over the years without changing its name.

Chuck Norcutt