[OM] Re: Scenic New England and PTLens [was, New photo essay posted]

Subject: [OM] Re: Scenic New England and PTLens [was, New photo essay posted]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 00:49:37 -0700
usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Nice correction with PT lens.  Too bad will not work with manual
> Zuikos.  One can construct  PS macros with Lensdoc for any lens,
> however.  Might be nice for 21-24 f2?  It takes some careful
> measurements of a photo of rulers.  I have not got around to this,
> though it is on my list.   http://www.andromeda.com/info/lensdoc/
>
> Click on addtion resources and lens curves, then creating curves for
> lensDoc.  There is a free Demo version. Wish I had more time.

I took a look. I certainly like the ability to use it with any image, no
matter how acquired or what lens used.

On the other hand, it's $105 with tax for me in Calif. and I can't
really see the results except in the smallish preview window. The demo
version won't pass a completed conversion back to PS.

PTLens is clearly easier to use with lenses that it has profiles for,
many more than LensDoc. And one can do conversions on 10 images with the
demo to test it out more throughly. I also still have a prior version
with unlimited use, you just wait 10 seconds for it to open up. But the
minimum price for full use of the latest version is only $10.

LensDoc seems over priced to me, or perhaps just under demoed, and
PTLens under priced, not that I'm complaining, mind you. One may take a
series of test shots and send them to the developer to have your lens
added to the database, and I think I'm going to do that with my EF that
aren't already there.

The big advantage to LensDoc is the ability do correct all those old and
new film images. Another candidate for that is ImageAlign
<http://www.grasshopperonline.com/>. I costs a bit more for the Pro
version that includes barrel and pincushion correction , but does more
that LensDoc. And it has a demo with "FREE fully functional trial
version you can download. This trail version gives you five free fully
functional uses of ImageAlign™ Professional and an unlimited number of
watermarked images." So one can really check it out beforehand. And it's
from NZ, how cool is that, Brian?

I haven't tried it yet, soon.

Moose