[OM] Re: Needed - definitive answer to backing up digital photos

Subject: [OM] Re: Needed - definitive answer to backing up digital photos
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 18:41:03 -0500
NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Those who have been around for a while will remember my tales of whoa about
> a crashed hard drive and the loss of 18 months worth of images.  Just for a
> moment lets play like it only happened yesterday and I'm trying to resolve
> the
> issue today.

\>
> Comp USA is having a decent sale this weekend and I might go buy something
> on Monday.
> Should I be looking at a 800 Firewire connection?

I highly recommend firewire, especially if you're using a Mac.  I have
an assortment of FW drives for audio work, and they've been rock solid
for me.  MacOS, either 9.x or X.x, just handle FW like it's no big deal.
You can run your backups, then take the FW drives offline and store them
somewhere safe.

As to backup software, there are a bunch of options, but I haven't tried
anything yet, so I'll let others chime in there.  Also depends on what
OS you're running.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"There's a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon