[OM] Re: Needed - definitive answer to backing up digital photos

Subject: [OM] Re: Needed - definitive answer to backing up digital photos
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 17:24:49 -0700
NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:
> What I want to do is to set my computer up to where I back up
> (automatically) only my photo files.  Any suggestions on software to do this
I've been using SyncBack SE, freeware <http://www.2brightsparks.com/>.
It has worked perfectly for me so far. Great flexibility in setting up
just what you want.
> and/or hardware with which people have been happy.  Please keep in  mind that
> I seek simple,
> idiot proof solutions to somewhat complex  problems.
>
> I'm thinking perhaps two external hard drives with photos files backed  up to
> both at essentially the same time (same files on each).

I started doing something similar, although one 300gb drive is in the
computer and the second is an external 500gb drive. When traveling, I
keep files on the laptop and burn copies to DVDs as backup as I go
along. When I get back, the files get copied to the desktop and cleared
off the laptop.
> My laptop is loaded with photo files currently and I need to back them up
> and then delete them from the laptop.  That is a very scary thought.

I got nervous, even though I haven't had a disaster like yours, when I
started running out of space on the 3 drives in the box to maintain
backups of everything.
> Comp USA is having a decent sale this weekend and I might go buy something
> on Monday.
> Should I be looking at a 800 Firewire connection?

Several brands provide triple interfaces, USB 2.0, Firewire and Firewire
800. I bought mine from LaCie on the web. I purchased from their refurb
page, with 90 day warranty, at a very good price, but appear to have
received a new one with full warranty. Unlike some brands, LaCie
provides cables for all three interface connections, worth quite a few $
if you have to buy them separately. I'm using it on regular Firewire
(400) and everything works well.

I leave the drive unconnected except when doing backups, so there is no
way that a virus or worm can get at it. That makes automated backup
impossible, but seems worth it to me. I have saved profiles, or whatever
they call them, in SyncBack with all the parameters, kinds of files to
save and not to save and so on, so I can just plug in the drive and
start the process so it runs automatically from that point. I keep
copies of new shots on two drives in the box until I do a backup to the
external drive, then erase one copy.

> Thanks in advance.  I am going to do it this time.   <[8^)  Bill Barber

You better!

Moose