[OM] Re: T32 on an E1 - d'oh!

Subject: [OM] Re: T32 on an E1 - d'oh!
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 10:31:44 -0400
At 3:29 AM +0200 5/29/06, Listar wrote:
>Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 10:57:00 -0300
>From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Re: T32 on an E1 - d'oh!
>

>I asked at a local pro photo shop whether a Metz stick handle flash gun
>could be coupled up to an E500. I was advised that a camera hot shot
>attachment was available which they had in stock. Their advice was "don't do
>it" even if using the attachment since there was no guarantee that the flash
>would not kick back a power surge into the camera and fry the electronics.
>In that event the advice was that I would be fighting a long and loosing
>battle with Olympus to have the camera repaired under warranty.
>
>In the event that Metz stick handle flash guns are not suited to the E500,
>are there any other options for adding powerful off camera flash lighting to
>this camera?

There is a more general question to be answered:  What do the various
E1/eVolt hot-shoe contacts do, and what are their voltage/current
expectations and tolerances?  I have not seen anything from Olympus
on this, but the information must be somewhere.  The physical
arrangement of contacts is different from that of the OM-series
cameras, but what is communicated between flash and camera must be
mostly the same.

Joe Gwinn