[OM] Re: T32 on an E1 - d'oh!

Subject: [OM] Re: T32 on an E1 - d'oh!
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 06:32:35 -0400
Sorry, I thought we were simply talking about the ability to trigger the
flash safely from an E-1.  If you want to operate a Metz flash in TTL
mode from an E-1, E-330 or E-500 check the compatibility page here:
<http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electronics/adapter.143.html>

Only the last four models in the pull-down list (54 MZ-4i, 44 MZ-2 (v2),
45 CL-4 digital and 76 MZ-5 digital) offer TTL compatibility with
Olympus 4/3 cameras.  Even then there doesn't appear to be a compatible
cable to get the flash off camera and all functions of camera or flash
may not be supported.

If you simply want to trigger a flash from the hotshoe on a 4/3 camera I
repeat my post of 5 days ago:
------------------------------------

With no TTL control the only thing that's of any value is a PC cord so
you can get to the center contact to trigger the flash.  I don't think
the E-500 has a PC connection on the camera so you need three specific
parts.

1) A hot shoe --> PC connector
This is one of the better ones.  Don't worry that it says Nikon
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=37086&is=REG&addedTroughType=search>

2) A PC --> hot shoe connector, one with a tripod thread in the bottom.
I use the following auction as an illustration.  You can probably buy
the same piece at the local Ritz for 1/2 of this price (with shipping)
<http://cgi.ebay.com/New-All-Purpose-Hot-Shoe-Metal-Flash-Acessories_W0QQitemZ7622603047QQcategoryZ64354QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting>

3) A tripod or light stand to support the flash.  Preferably with a
tiltable umbrella adapter so you can use an umbrella diffuser
I haven't illustrated it since I can't find the one I was looking for.
The Bogen is good but there's another brand that's a little cheaper and
also had a built-in hot shoe on the top.

Ah! Here it is but the shoe mount it not a hot shoe so you still need 2)
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=298709&is=REG&addedTroughType=search>

3) A PC cable with proper male and or female connectors to fit 1) & 2)
Depending on what you use above you could need a, say, 15 foot PC cable
with male and female connectors or both male or both female.  For what
I've illustrated I think you'd need a male/male cable

OR
use some sort of slave triggering instead of the cable.  You could use
an optical slave such as this in place of item 2) above (also available
inexpensively at Ritz ) if you want to trigger the T-32 by using your
on-camera flash.

<http://cgi.ebay.com/Optical-Slave-Flash-Trigger-with-Sync-Socket-NEW_W0QQitemZ7621656618QQcategoryZ30086QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>

OR you could use a radio slave where the transmitter replaces 1) above
and the receiver plugs into 2) above using a short PC cord.
There are lots of them available (some cheaper) but for your purposes I
would recommend this one since the receiver has a female PC sync socket
on the back side.  Most of them do not.  Most designed for use with
studio flash unit which have 1/4" or 1/8" plug sockets.  You can adapt
to a PC connection from that point but it's a small pain.  This PC
socket on this one allows making a connection with 2) above with a short
length of male/male PC cord.
<http://cgi.ebay.com/16-Channel-Wireless-Digital-Radio-Slave-Flash-Trigger_W0QQitemZ7622127783QQcategoryZ30086QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting>