[OM] Re: Article in Orion Magazine

Subject: [OM] Re: Article in Orion Magazine
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 10:10:53 -0400
At 05:54 AM 5/31/2006, Moose wrote:

>Andrew Fildes wrote:
> > And how people these days have stood on a ridge and seen unbroken
> > forest stretching to the horizon - not many.
> >
>There are certainly still places in California where you can see that,
>and I would assume it's true of Oregon and Washington. I've also seen it
>in Maine and New Hampshire, and it's probably true of some other parts
>of the NE. Also some places in the SE, although it will generally be
>young forest, I think.

Seeing "forest stretching to the horizon" is not unusual in this part
of Georgia or in parts of western North Carolina/eastern Tennessee
but, as you say, the forest is young since there was heavy logging
activity in the area in the early 1900's, before the establishment of
the national forests.  There are pockets of old growth remaining
though, a lot of it poplar, with one stand in North Carolina
containing trees that are 125 feet tall, 20 feet in circumference and
estimated to be 400-500 years old.

Later,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson