[OM] Re: any thoughts on the Zuiko 24 / 2.0

Subject: [OM] Re: any thoughts on the Zuiko 24 / 2.0
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 12:02:05 -0400
At 06:07 AM 5/31/2006, you wrote:
>... Looking at the numbers and comments it seems
>any other Zuiko in that region is better: the slower 24/2.8, the wider 21/2...

That was my feeling when I had the 24/2. I sold it in favor of the 24/2.8.
The 21/2 is real nice, but since I have off loaded most of my film gear
to support my venture into the dark side, I no longer have the 21/2.
The 2 versus 2.8 at 24mm does not amount to much IMO. I used to
go out of my way to find shots for the 21/2 as I enjoyed it so much.
The 24/2 was just not that good by comparison.

The 24/2.8 also uses a metal lens hood. I like metal better than the
rubber ones, which can cause flare issues. I dropped the camera
with 24/2.8 once and the lens hood took the force. Better than any
so-called protection filter would have done. No damage other than
dented lens hood.

The 24/2 vignettes easily with any filters attached.

The 21/2 is sharp all the way to the corners, except for some
color fringing. The 21/2, 50/2, 100/2, 35-80/2.8 and 180/2 are
the best Zuikos I have owned, which is almost all of them. Oh,
and a nice 50/1.4 with high serial number.

WayneS