[OM] Re: [OT] A brief Tokina 28-80 test note

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] A brief Tokina 28-80 test note
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 18:39:38 -0400

ScottGee1 wrote:

> Chuck, if I read your description correctly, it sounds like any lens
> focused *manually* did not perform to your expectations.

Not quite.  The Kiron 28-105 did well.  Just not quite as good as the
Tokina.

> Makes me wonder if the diopter on your 5D needs to be adjusted.  I had
> a similar problem with my OM-4T but didn't have a AF lens to use to
> cross-check it.  ;o)

I'll check it again to be sure but I have adjusted the diopter.  I
suppose it's possible it got bumped and moved.

> Also, are you using the same EOS to OM adapter?  If that's a bit off
> it could certainly cause trouble.  Of course the Tokina is 'native'.

Well now, this is an interesting point.  I have two OM adapters and I
was using both of them.  Unfortunately, I can't tell you which one was
used on which lens.  I did get a little bit of a surprise in that I also
tested a 35-70/2.5 Soligor CD and found that it would not install on my
latest adapter acquisition (the $20 BIN deal).  The adapters fit the
lenses quite snugly but the Soligor seemed like it was a few tenths too
big to slip in.  It did, however, fit the other adapter.  Also, despite
its age, the Soligor is a "new" lens in that it has never been used.

This point is perhaps emphasized by my looking at the Zuiko 35/2.8
results briefly since I wrote the first note on the 28mm results.  The
35/2.8 results look as awful at the 28mm.  Just can't be.

On the other hand the thickness of the adapter should only affect focus
at the extreme ends of the range.  As it was I was focusing about 3 feet
away and had plenty of focus travel on either side of the distance to
the target.  Even if the adapter thickness is off it shouldn't matter
for this test.

What does matter is Chuck's eyes.  Anyhow, more testing and checking to
go.  I'll check the adapter thickness with a guage.

Chuck Norcutt