[OM] My continuing adventures

Subject: [OM] My continuing adventures
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 15:58:03 +0000
If it ain't one thing, then it's another'n.  I decided while it was still cool
this morning to give the SSR a quick bath to remove the 10 days' worth of road
grime from our vacation.  While cleaning out the inside, I came across the work
order for the oil change I had the dealer do just before we left.  Much to my
horror, I saw that the bill was for $33, not the $77 it should have been, since
the LS2 6L V-8 is supposed to have Mobil-1 synthetic oil, not regular ol'
dinosaur juice.  We put nearly 1700 miles on the truck on this trip, and I was
about to have a stroke, contemplating the possible consequences and potential
engine damage.

And I was mad at myself, too, because I remembered quite well that when I was
in line at the cashier's window to pay for the oil change, I was chatting up
this cute young blonde wearing shorts and a halter top less than half my age,
so when presented with the bill, I just handed over a credit card, signed the
slip, and kept playing dirty old man and never once glanced at the paperwork.

So, I rolled into the dealer's service department this morning and raised some
hell.  The idiot service rep still didn't know that this engine, which is the
basic Corvette engine, needs synthetic oil, even despite the fact the oil
filler cap plainly says "Mobil 1 5W-30" in bright red, white and blue.

The service manager quickly got involved and the truck was immediately taken
back for a proper oil change.  Just as the last few drops were draining out of
the crankcase, the tech who had done the oil change two weeks ago came over,
curious about why it was back so soon for another change and with all these
people standing around watching.  (The mechanics remember these vehicles since
they are relatively rare -- only 24,000 ever made -- much more than they
remember that Caprice with the strange smell or the Suburban with Cheerios
stuck to the seats.  And mine is the only one this dealership ever sold with
the black and silver two-tone paint job.)

Anyway, to make a long story short, when told of the situation, the tech said,
"Yeah, I saw they wrote it wrong, but that don't mean I did it wrong.  Writin'
it up ain't my job.  My job's doin' it right, and I put in Mobil 1 5-30, just
like it says on the filler tube cap."

I've been around a long time, and that was the first time in my life I almost
kissed a guy.  I quickly got control of myself, though, and just shook his hand
and thanked him for knowing his job.  And so did the service manager, who said
I get my next two oil changes, with the correct oil guaranteed, for free.

Now I'm going to see about getting the vacation pictures off the CF cards this
afternoon.  I wonder what can go wrong with that.  :-[

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --