[OM] Re: E-1 with generic auto-thyristor flash

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 with generic auto-thyristor flash
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 11:47:26 -0400
I think you must have meant:
"Camera:  ISO 400, APERTURE PRIORITY, WB 5300 (-1 step), Exposure..."

Sounds to me like more work than just setting manual mode and setting
the shutter at 1/15 or whatever seems a reasonable time to drag given
the focal length and ambient conditions.

I used to shoot with the flash in auto mode but I ended up with too many
shots where the flash was fooled.  I've found that I get better results
shooting manual mode on the flash once I've built a little table of
flash power vs. distance.  Then just restrict yourself to being at a
specific distance and zoom to do the framing.  If you shoot raw, any
exposure errors on your part due to estimating, say, 10 feet are easily
correctible within the dynamic range of the raw file.

Chuck Norcutt