[OM] Re: Gonna give the E1 a workout

Subject: [OM] Re: Gonna give the E1 a workout
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 08:58:42 -0700 (PDT)
--- Chris Barker wrote:
> On the subject of settings on the E-1, here's what Ag Schnozz
> sent out to us all nearly 12 months ago.

Nother ever dies on the Internet, does it?  Some Orwellian day
I'm never going to be able to hide.  Actually it's here now, but
that's for another OT discussion.

I reread those suggestions you resurrected. It's amazing how
much they've evolved over the past 12 months.  Not necessarily
in the exposure/WB settings, but in the storage methods. Now
that I've got a nice flame-thrower laptop and RSE, there is
little reason to do the RAW+JPEG method.  But I still do a lot
of shooting in HQ mode. Hey, it works!  I did end up reversing
the controls on my A1 to match the E-1. Bummer, I really dislike
using the thumby-wheel to adjust the aperture in manual mode.

A recent development is the use of manual-focus a whole lot
more. This is a result of my using the old zuikos more and also
I'm getting better, faster, more accurate focusing when shooting
events. I rarely have my desired focus-point either in the
middle or the other two AF points so auto-focusing is always an
issue of "override" and "adjust". I Might as well just forget
having the camera even attempt.  I haven't come to grips with
the AEL button being used for AF assist as my other camera
doesn't give me this option and I do actually use it as AEL once
in a rare while.

The biggest change I've made to my basic settings is the recent
switch with the in-camera sharpening. This minor change has
completely altered the noise-level in the higher ISO shots
(400+).  I still use HQ for the bulk of my event shots because
it really does work!  And the workflow is so dramatically
improved as to make it a total no-brainer.

I have evolved most of my RAW workflow thanks to the new laptop
and Raw Shooter.  This software is absolutely the biggest
improvement that I could have imagined. It really does work and
it works extremely well.  However, there are certain colors that
when hitting out-of-gamut will cause some wierd pattern noise
artifacts--but this is present in nearly every RAW converter
except Olympus' Viewer and Studio.  It rears its ugly head on
sunset shots.

Oh, and for event work, I've set the drive to sequence now.
Single-shot forces a refocus between shots whereas drive will
allow you to return to the half-press point without having the
focus rehunt. (AF set to S, not C)

It's an evolution, this is for sure. By evolving my techniques
and tools (Raw Shooter, for example), I've been able to breath
new life into this outdated tool and just like the Minolta A1 be
able to take it beyond original capability and design spec.

BTW, a side note regarding Raw Shooter Express:  The 2006
upgrade screwed up the noise-reduction algorithm. They added the
pattern noise reduction, which works well, but the
luminous-noise reduction got broke. I still keep the 2005
version on my computer for the odd picture that needs this.
I've found that it's much better to whack as much noise as
possible during the conversion process than later in Noiseware.
When done later, you get fringing.

Can I complain for a second?

/Grouse Mode On

I really, really, dislike the 4/3 lens mount. With the old OM
lens mount, you could change a lens with ONE HAND! Now, with
that dorky body button, (aka Nikon and Canon) it takes no less
than four hands and a big toe to change a lens. AND you've got
to be so careful to get things lined up first because the mount
is actually flush to the body instead of protruding like it does
on the OM.  I can't change lenses very fast at all and I've got
to turn the stinkin camera off.  When you turn the camera back
on it resets to the recalled memory setting! (sleep mode does
this too--watch those ISO overrides!)

/ Grouse Mode Off

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com