[OM] Re: Testing, OM adapter, M42 to Olympus OM-2

Subject: [OM] Re: Testing, OM adapter, M42 to Olympus OM-2
From: keith_w <keith_w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 10:55:50 -0700
Jeff Keller wrote:
> If you have one lens which reaches infinity (assuming that lens doesn't
> normally focus past infinity) seems to imply the adapter is the right
> thickness. The other five lenses must not be seating correctly on the
> adapter. Look at the adapter and lenses carefully to see if you find what
> prevents the 5 lenses from seating snug up against it.

I tend to agree.
I say "tend" simply because my 105 *does* focus past infinity...  {shruggg}
However, I will take the time to see why the 50s don't go all the way down.
If I'm lucky, I'll find the answer.

> The adapter not locking to your camera may be a combination of wear to the
> body and a less than perfect tab on the adapter. I had a Zuiko that would
> fall off of one particular body. It was caused by a little wear to both the
> camera mount and wear to the zuiko mount. Squaring up an edge on the camera
> mount got it so it wouldn't fall off.
>
> Good luck,
> -jeff

In doing all my testing, on and off with the adapter, I found the adapter
suddenly locked into place! It will now register with the red dot and the red
line. Might have been a burr on a part in the adapter. It now works.

My OM-2MD has essentially zero wear, so it had to be something else.
Part of me says, don't worry about the Pentax Takumar 50mm lenses, because I
have at least two like new G-Zuiko 50mm lenses.

I do like that the 105mm f/2.8 will work with the adapter, as I love that lens.
Now I have to find out whether there are others in my M42 lineup that will work.
It might be that even with it's limited utility, it would be worth it to keep
it, as Zuiko lenses are a wee bit expensive, to say the least.
If I can qualify another two Takumar lenses or so, maybe one of my 135s, or
maybe the  200mm f/4.0, I will definitely keep the adapter.

     [small hiatus here, while I do some testing...]

Good news!
The 135mm f/3.5 Super Takumar, the 135mm f/2.5 S-M-C Takumar and the 200mm
f/4.0 S-M-C Takumar all fit and focus to infinity! Glory be!
I will *keep* the adapter!

All I need now is a 24mm Zuiko and I'll be a happy camper!  ;-)

Thanks to one and all for all the support and advice.
What a group!

keith whaley