[OM] Re: Testing, OM adapter, M42 to Olympus OM-2

Subject: [OM] Re: Testing, OM adapter, M42 to Olympus OM-2
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 14:59:31 -0700
keith_w wrote:
> In doing all my testing, on and off with the adapter, I found the adapter
> suddenly locked into place! It will now register with the red dot and the red
> line. Might have been a burr on a part in the adapter. It now works.

Excellent!
> My OM-2MD has essentially zero wear, so it had to be something else.
> Part of me says, don't worry about the Pentax Takumar 50mm lenses, because I
> have at least two like new G-Zuiko 50mm lenses.

Depending on which Takumars you have, it may well be worth getting them
working. The early 50/1.4 SUPER-MULTI-COATED, not apparently, the later
ones marked SMC, are considered by some folks to be about the finest 50
mm lenses ever made for SLRs.

On the other hand, the G.Zuiko 50/1.4s are less stellar. The very first
few, with mildly radioactive elements, are supposed to be very sharp in
the center, but not so good in the corners. The next series are more
even, but not really tack sharp. There may have been a change over the
years of production, as some are reported to be sharper than others, but
I don't know of any documentation. The later versions, which drop the
"G.", first those marked MC, with the MC later dropped, and especially
those with serial #s above 1,085,000, are extremely fine lenses with
exceptionally even performance over the whole aperture range.

You may also find this info on such adapters interesting
<http://medfmt.8k.com/bronmounts.html#opto>.

Moose