[OM] Re: Update on Sigma four-thirds lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: Update on Sigma four-thirds lenses
From: "Marc Lawrence" <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 08:23:26 +1000
> ALI wrote:
> [...]
> I am a little miffed that while folks like N*kon and C*non
> have hundreds of lenses available for their digital offerings -
> Olympus only has a handful. Not much choice!

ALI, I'm a C*non-user, and, yeah, there's a whole lot of choice.
I even own a Sigma (their newish 10-20), and it's not a bad piece
of work.

However, being a frequenter of the not-quite-equivalent C*non
mailing list (they don't discuss 4WDs, guns or what Americans
think is "barbecue" much ;-) ), putting aside the benefits of
"competition" and price-ranges, choice is not *always* a good
thing when you're looking to buy. For me, it's a bit like
photography itself, in that I sometimes work better with a
limited choice (ie. a prime) than with a range (ie. zoom). I
spent at least 6 months deciding whether to get a 100-400 or
50-500, before deciding on a fast 70-200, and then spent forever
deciding on which brand to get. In the end, the procrastination
just took my focus away from photography and onto the
gear, forgetting what I had for looking at what I might want.
Gear-headishness is pleasurable in so many ways, but I really
wish I could have made up my mind a while earlier and just
bought the bloody thing! This seems to continuously be happening
on that C*non list, with folks just trying to decide.

Oly seem to have some mighty fine glass in that "handful".

For me, it helped to focus on what I really wanted, and its
necessity - to seriously think about its probable use - and
then to just go for it, and keep humming that Edith Piaf
song to yourself the whole while (...and I reckon if you
pixel-peep too long, your eyes get sore and any extra sharpness
is wasted on you anyway. <g>).

Cheers,
Marc (waiting on a new ess-you-vee, which might be on the docks
today, so I might go have a look)
Sydney, Oz