[OM] Re: Older flash unit question

Subject: [OM] Re: Older flash unit question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 07:40:30 -0400
You should have no concern about flash voltages on OM cameras.  Here's
the true skinny in some old posts from Tim Hughes.

Chuck Norcutt

Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 04:52:09 -0800 (PST)
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 and OM System flash units?

Chuck,
The Om2S and OM4's use a sensitive gate, high voltage thyristor switch,
so can easily  withstand the <330V on the flash contacts (typ more like
200V for m,any flashes) .
The Om1/2 uses mechanical switch with test insulation of 500V according
to service manual.  The Om2N uses mechanical contact isolated by 1N4004
(400V ) diode.  Anecdotally people  on this list have reported damaging
OM4 in the rain with high voltage flash.   I am skeptical  that this
actually happened.unless somehow camera ground came adrift from ccts,
since the  leakage path would have to get to one of the ic's which are
isolated from the  thyristor gate by  a capacitor (from memory). On the
other hand water could easily cause other leakage problems  as the
insulation requirements for the photo-sensors etc are extremely high.
(probably > 100M Ohms)
Regards,
Tim HGughes