[OM] Re: Like a bad penny, I am back, OT now BBQ

Subject: [OM] Re: Like a bad penny, I am back, OT now BBQ
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 09:33:47 -0400
I think that in the world of gators (and other reptiles as well) size
matters.  If you're as big as or bigger than the gator you're pretty
safe.  If the gator's 12 or 13 feet long keep your distance.

I frequently used to walk the trails and take my kayak into the interior
of the Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge (Boynton Beach, FL).  I
often encounterd gators sunning themselves on the banks in areas where I
couldn't stay more than 10-12 feet away.  If the gator was only 8-9 feet
(and, since sunning itself, was probably a bit sluggish from the cold) I
would pass on by.  But if the gator was bigger than that and expecially
if turned toward me I'd carefully evaluate whether taking another path
might be more advisable.

In the kayak, while in the interior, it always struck me that the gators
in the water weren't smart enough to distinguish me from the 12 foot
long white bottomed kayak.  That generally gave me the size advantage
and they would skedaddle off.  But then, in six years of kayaking there,
I never encounterd the 15 footer which some said was out there not far
away.  The guys you had to watch out for were the 8-10 footers who hung
around the boat ramp.  They had lost their fear of humans because of the
@#$!#$ people who would feed them.

Just to reiterate; if a gator is on the bank sunning itself it is
probably cold, sluggish and feeling not 100%.  That's why it's on the
bank in the sun.  But they really don't feel completely at home out of
the water and will stay there if warm enough.  Stay out of the water though.

Chuck Norcutt