[OM] Re: Like a bad penny, I am back, OT now BBQ

Subject: [OM] Re: Like a bad penny, I am back, OT now BBQ
From: "James McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 10:23:36 -0600
I've never liked trophy hunting but it has some value if it involves culling
older animals. Most people here hunt for the meat, and elk and moose are a
very healthy low-fat source of protein. Hunting in the US is regulated by
the states and some do that much better than others. Ironically most of the
species reestablishment and habitat restoration has been bankrolled and
accomplished by hunter's organizations. The so-called animal rights groups
actually do very little for animals but mostly dabble in politics and self
promotion. Hunters and those who do not believe in hunting will never agree
but can get along with some tolerance for the other's values. I prefer to do
most of my hunting with the camera.

Seeing critters and being able to photograph them are two different things.
The animals are more active early in the morning or in the evening when the
light is weak. I took a couple of pictures yesterday but none that will be
very good. I will post some that I took a couple of weeks ago. Wildlife
photography is much easier where the animals are not hunted. If the weather
cooperates, I'll go higher on the mountain today where most of the elk
calve. I won't be hauling any heavy lenses today though.

/jmac