[OM] Re: Like a bad penny, I am back, OT now BBQ

Subject: [OM] Re: Like a bad penny, I am back, OT now BBQ
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 13:23:08 -0400
Yeah.  I have no such experience with salties and would not suggest that
my gator experience applies.  American crocs are also relative
pusseycats from all I hear but I have no direct experience as I do with
gators.

Which leads me to a funny story.  In the US the American Crocodile is
consdidered an endangered species.  The American Alligator, which is
plentiful, is considered a "species of special concern", primarily
because most folks can't tell the difference between a gator and a croc.
  The American Crocodile population numbers perhaps 400 or so
individuals all south of Fort Lauderdale, FL.  The vast majority of
these make their home in the cooling channels of the Turkey Point
nuclear power plant.  They prefer to live there since the sea water in
the power plant's cooling channels is a bit warmer than the ambient sea
water temperature.

All of this leads to Florida Power & Light (owner of the Turkey Point
plant) having assumed the role of protector of the American croc.  To
that end they employ a full time biologist whose sole role in life is to
keep detailed tabs on his several hundred toothy charges.  One day, this
biologist (whose name I can't recall, sorry) came to the Loxahatchee
refuge to give a presentation to the public on the state of American
crocs in Florida.  After he finished his talk one of the audience
members said:  "I've heard that crocodiles are much more aggressive than
alligators.  Is that true?"  Paraphrasing the biologist, he replied;
"Well, I can't rightly say if they're more aggressive or not.  You see,
everyone of those crocs at Turkey Point has been caught by me at least
once.  I tape their snouts, tie them up, stick them with needles, draw
blood, determine the sex by sticking my fingers up their cloaca, stick a
hose down their throat and pump their stomachs.  When they see *me*
coming they run like hell!"

Chuck Norcutt