[OM] Re: A little bit more Tokina/Zuiko testing

Subject: [OM] Re: A little bit more Tokina/Zuiko testing
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 15:16:48 -0700
photodo.com may not be the final word on lens quality but the ratings given
to some of the C*non primes suggests they can still outdo zooms. It is
probably once you reach the quality that the top of the line zooms reach,
changing to a slightly better prime doesn't give any real advantage other
than max aperture.

http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/canon.shtml

24/2.8 - 3.9
35/2 - 3.9
35/1.4 L - 4.0
50/1.4 - 4.4
85/1.2 - 4.6
100/2 - 4.2
135/2 - 4.5
200/1.8 - 4.9

28-70/2.8 L - 3.9
70-200/2.8 - 4.1
100-400/4.5-5.6 L 3.6

So with Johnny's comments about focusing indoors with C*non's special
screen, the MF Zuiko's probably get relagated to special use compared to
Chuck's Tokina or the back breaking C*non L lenses.

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

-snip

Anyway, that digression about the long end aside, I would expect a
modern, pro level zoom to outperform most primes when both are wide
open. I would also expect the difference to narrow as they are stopped
down, although I wouldn't be surprised to see the zoom continue to come
out on top.

I know lots of people want a wide range of primes optimized for digital
sensors and assume manufacturers are largely not providing them for
marketing and profit reasons. I propose it is possible that   it may
also in many cases be because they can't see that they can exceed the
performance of their latest zoom designs, except perhaps at uneconomic cost.

Moose