[OM] Re: 1st roll with an OM

Subject: [OM] Re: 1st roll with an OM
From: "Marc Lawrence" <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 11:41:02 +1000
> Bill Barber (NSURIT@xxxxxxx) wrote:
> Marc, I'd say you also have a fondness for American steel.

That's a fair judgement. :-) I grew up with the Hardie Ferodo 1000
at Bathurst (and its further sponsored iterations), the premier
auto-race in Australia. Others Aussies with more "history" than
me will of course have known of it from pre-metric times as the
Hardie Ferodo 500. Regardless, big American/Australian steel
dominates it, and I've a love of the Aussie Holden Monaro (old model -
I think Andrew's got a piccie somewhere) the Falcon XY GTHO Phase
III, with a slightly more guilty pleasure gotten from the XC GT
(esp. the Cobra), though we were always a "Holden Family" (think
GM). Sure, BMW had their beautiful John Player Special (JPS) cars,
which has given me a lifelong love of the make, but it's hard to
get past big, American steel (especially now, when that's the only
stuff allowed to play anymore - GMHolden and Ford Falcon with
American V8s in them that are not even remotely like anything
you can buy production, unlike the "gold old days").

I'm discovering and falling for new, old American cars all the time.
Apart from early Mustangs, which I admit is a cliched favourite,
I do like the first generation Pontiac Firebird a lot. Your link:

> Check it out. _http://www.streetdreamstexas.com/_
> (http://www.streetdreamstexas.com/)

is exactly the kind of thing I keep stumbling across and finding
another car to love. I'm also fond of Tom Wolfe's 'Kandy-Colored
Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby' and those of that ilk, such as
the Ford Sedan Delivery they've for sale at the moment.

Although continuously drawn to it (American steel), I have to admit
my favourite vehicle of all time is a bastard conglomerate of a
British car with an American engine and Italian design; the Jensen
Interceptor (FF). There were two at the NRMA Motor Show this year,
though they were crowded and close together, and hard to get a
decent shot of.

Saying all this, I've never owned any of these - it's been 4WDs,
or the Landy Disco we owned (POS, but we loved it anyway), as well
as an 86 Toyota Celica, 2 Subaru Impreza WRXs (very nice; very quick!)
and a Mitsu' Lancer GSR 4WD Turbo (as with the WRX, but very much
a wolf in sheep's clothing). We also had a Malaysian Proton Satria,
which, even as a budget car, was the most *reliable* car we've ever
owned while being the cheapest...hmmmm. :-)

We photographed our *new* arrival on the Sydney docks yesterday.
It's probably still a couple of weeks away from being in the
garage, but the excitement is building!

Cheers,
Marc
Sydney, Oz