[OM] Re: The 10MP KM

Subject: [OM] Re: The 10MP KM
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 08:38:16 -0700 (PDT)
Garth wrote:
> I have to admit, this is tempting.  I have a *lot* of K-M
> accessories (originally purchased for my A1) which appear to
> be plug-compatible to this wee beastie,...

I've got to admit that purchasing accessories (flashes, lenses
etc) to either the K-M or the E-1 has an extremely low priority
because by not being heavily invested in either sytem gives me
an easier "out".  It's kinda liberating to be free to go
whichever way the wind blows, but pleasing to be able to resist
the temptation.

> Unless Oly hits it out of the park this year with a new
> E-thingie, my E-1 may end up being my first and> last DSLR
> (for the backwards-compatibility with my legacy OM lenses,
> natch).

And they may.  Canon has been the Cat's Meow for the past three
years now and when somebody is dominating like that, it can be
beneficial to just sit on the side for a little while till the
bloom is off the rose then you can strike. There will eventually
be the backlash (think Microsoft), and companies like Pentax can
introduce a decent medium format digital and Olympus can come
out of hiding. This is no different that automobiles--in this
country everybody bought European sport sedans, (1975-85), then
it was the minivan (late 1985-95), then is was the SUV
(1995-2005), now it's Retros and what not.  Right now Canon is
the king of the minivan (think Chrysler), but the other
manufacturers still had winners along the way.

> In particular, the combination of in-camera-body Anti-Shake
> (which has astonished me with how well it works on the A1)
> and sensor dust cleaning may just clinch the deal.

That has my attention too.  I love the concept of in-camera
vibration control.  I still think Olympus will pull it
off--electronically with no moving parts using overscan
technology.

> the build of the body -- the E-1's body is *truly* pro-grade.

I've kinda taken to abusing my E-1 just because I can. I freek
out a pal shooting with Canon stuff.

> I'll probably wait until Photokina in September.  That's only
> three more months...

I'll probably wait even longer--don't have any money anyway.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com