[OM] OT: Need Digital Point and Shoot Recommendations

Subject: [OM] OT: Need Digital Point and Shoot Recommendations
From: Gary Teller <gmteller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 21:48:39 -0400
I need y'alls OFF LIST recommendations of specific brands and U.S. models
of digital point and shoot cameras.  My wife is driving me crazy with her
request that I buy her one.  Mind you, this is a lady who has never figured
out most of the simple features of her decent film P & S.  I personally
have too many fish to fry in the coming months to be bothered.  However for
the sake of keeping marital peace I will soon have to make the jump over to
the dark side.

I've listed below the points I think I need to consider.  If a particular
item should be elaborated on please feel free to do so. Also, let me know
if I've overlooked an important point. My only needs are to produce clear
close ups for ebay sales and, in turn, eliminate the need to shoot film,
print it and scan the prints.

Remember, write me OFF LIST.  I don't want to start a long OT thread.

Must be compatible with Windows 98 Second Edition.  I have USB but no Fire
Wire ports

Prints will more than likely be no larger than 8x10 so I'm assuming 3-4
megapixels should be enough.

Capable of some manual override including focus.  Is that possible in a
camera costing less than $400?

Ability to take clear, detailed close ups.  Currently when I take a picture
of the front of a film SLR the resulting 4x6 print is almost completely
filled with the subject.  When I scan it at 150%  I typically get a .jpg
file between 40 and 100 kb.

What's your preferred media storage and why?

Common sense or intuitive menu and a moderate learning curve.

Easy to use organizing software.  If I designate folders on my computer
where I want uploaded files to go and then rename them should I really be
concerned about what software comes with the camera?  For editing and other
manipulation I currently use Photoshop Elements.

Non proprietary battery.

Optical zoom focal length (in 35mm terms) from 28 (or 35) to 135.

Appearance, weight, and ergonomics will have to be judged in person

Did I mention that you should reply OFF LIST?

Many thanks in advance,

Gary