[OM] Digital processors and automated, unrequested, cropping

Subject: [OM] Digital processors and automated, unrequested, cropping
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 20:02:59 +1200
Hi all,

Recently, "my" favourite lab dropped its Agfa image lab and embraced the
Fuji system.

I have to say the images are a little sharper. "However" in looking critically
at
one image in particular when sorting out the front-runners for the Odyssey 4,
I found that they had cropped a significant amount from all four sides of the
image. I asked this afternoon, and apparently 1 mm on each side is cropped
out. That can be quite a significant part of a 35mm photo, especially for me
as I typically use the full frame for my images.

It also explained why my son was half be-headed in a print of one E-1 shot I
took, and I didn't think I had composed the shot like that. So they crop
digital
files as well.

Looks as though I will be using another lab at least some of the time; I heard
of one today that doesn't crop like that, and they do pro work as well..

With the Agfa gear, for size 6 prints, it was possible to request full frame
prints, and that's just what you got.

Brian