[OM] Re: I'm looking hard at the Evolt E-500, what's the general concenu

Subject: [OM] Re: I'm looking hard at the Evolt E-500, what's the general concenus ?
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 08:56:57 -0700
Chuck explained the shift lens use, better than I could.

There are numerous plates/rails which are long enough to have a small clamp
to hold the camera at the end and can be slid forward or backward in the
tripod head for focusing. With the camera hanging out at the end, having the
L-bracket to change orientation is a helpful option.

For examples take a look at

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/media/product_size/CB_vertical.jpg
or
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/media/product_size/192_mounted.jpg
or
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/media/product_size/MPR-CL.jpg

(all are reached from http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/mpr/index.html
then click "new 192 Precision Plus Package" in right hand column or
"MPR-CL, 6-inch rail w/ clamp")

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Look at the L plates on this page:
<http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/tutorials/L_plates/index.html>
Notice the long grooves in the sides.  Tongues on the QR plate slide
into the grooves on the L plate.  Since the L plate is quite long you
can also position the camera off center along the length of the L plate.

Using a shift lens alone, shifting the lens left or right would
reposition the lens.  Using the L plate you can slide the camera in the
opposite direction.  The film or sensor will get a different view
because of the lens shift but the center of the lens has remained in the
same spot.  It would be like shifting the back of a view camera.  The
lens is stationary and the camera has moved.

Chuck Norcutt

Bernard Frangoulis wrote:

 >>I also use a long plate as a macro slider. Having an L plate that can be
 >>clamped at either orientation at the end of the slider is another minor
 >>advantage.
 >>
 >>The trick of stiching two vertical format pictures from a shift lens
 >>together to form a larger landscape format image works best with an L
 >>bracket ... the lens is kept in the same position by sliding both the
camera
 >>and shifting the lens.
 >

 > I must admit I don't quite get it (having never handled an L plate).
Could you give some more detail?