[OM] Re: OT What's happening in Europe?

Subject: [OM] Re: OT What's happening in Europe?
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 04:46:26 +0200
Le dimanche 11 Juin 2006 04:28, Andrew Fildes a écrit :

> Only the French could believe that. I've seen more optimism in an
> earthquake. Remember, you developed existentialism to it's most
> morbid extreme.

But only americans remember about it ; you'd be hard pressed to find someone
knowing something about it in the general population (I happen to know what
it is because my mother is a litterature teacher)  :-) And to know if someone
actually believed in existentialism here for more than a second is a mystery.
We love to create theories, and vocaly dispute them ; but when it comes to
behaviour, we're much more pragmatic than you imagine.

In fact, I'd say we generaly justify our actions by an ad hoc theory,
carefully crafted on purpose. We don't like to give the impression that our
actions are dictated by necessity, because we have an historical worship for
reason. So we disguise our impulsions under a thin veil of philosophy. But
nobody's fooled by that here. Only strangers are.

--
Manuel Viet