[OM] Re: I'm looking hard at the Evolt E-500, what's the general concenu

Subject: [OM] Re: I'm looking hard at the Evolt E-500, what's the general concenus ?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 23:19:47 -0700
Jeff Keller wrote:
> The four leg segments typically adds significantly to the weight and is
> claimed to reduce the stability because of the smaller diameter of the
> bottom segment. Personally I don't think the smaller leg diameter would be a
> problem except on a slippery floor. The tradeoff comes down to collapsed
> size vs. weight. I would again choose to save the weight.
>
> ----Original Message Follows----
> From: Bernard Frangoulis <lists@xxxxxxxxx>

> I think a better compromise (for me at least) would be the 1158: 48 cm
> (18.9") length when folded, 1.04 kg (2.3 lbs) weight. On the assumption that
> a tripod you are willing to carry is better than a really good one you will
> leave at home...
>
> Now the price of Gitzos being what is is, I also have an eye on the Velbon
> Sherpa Pro CF-640, 641, 540, 541, Slik CF 614F, or Feisol 3402. One of the
> important points is: flip-locks &#710; la Manfrotto (easier and quicker,
> particularly for 4-segment tripods), or Gitzo-style locks (more rigid? Never
> used one).
>
> I see no advantage in Manfrotto CF tripods, which are almost as heavy as
> thair aluminium equivalents

I've ranted about this before, so why not again? I recently bought a
camera body for $2,700 without ever having seen one in the flesh, let
alone played with one - and got exactly what I expected.

A while ago, I went to pick the perfect tripod and head the way I
research most things nowadays, through the web, reviews, specs, forums,
etc. I had pretty much narrowed it down when I made a smart move and
went to a store with a broad selection of tripods and heads. WOW! I
HATED the head I was thinking of buying, and I found another one I was
considering worked poorly. The tripod I had selected was not at all what
I expected and wanted. I ended up buying a head I'd never heard of
before that, that was lighter and cheaper than what I came for, and a
different brand and model tripod than I had considered.

If at all possible, I really urge trying these things out. The
generalities don't apply to everything. The Manfrotto 4 section CF that
I was interested in was definitely wobbly/unsteady fully open. The
Hakuba 4 section CF that I bought is nice and solid fully extended. You
just can't tell from the specs and pictures.

I'm still very happy with the Hakuba HG-6240C and use it regularly. It's
my most used tripod. It's the same as some Velbon model, but with an
Aluminum spider, instead of Magnesium, and thus less expensive. I still
like the ball head I bought, and think it was the right choice for that
type of head for me, but frankly mostly use the Manfrotto 410 geared
head. The Manfrotto geared heads are unique and special.

Moose