[OM] Re: OT What's happening in Europe?

Subject: [OM] Re: OT What's happening in Europe?
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 18:58:41 +0200
Le dimanche 11 Juin 2006 07:51, Andrew Fildes a écrit :
> Philosophy is a compulsory subject at Lycee, n'est ce pas?

Yes ; it's also compulsory in all the graduations series. There's no escape.
But many students consider it a joke, and teachers are not all good. Some are
truly brilliant, most are struggling to just make an 'history of philosophy'
course, and a few are absolutely terrible. Bad luck, I had one of the last
category. She was dropped in our class because our majors where math /
physics, so it was thought acceptable that she butchered her teaching. As I
went in law school afterward, I struggled to educate myself because
philosophy has a great part into the building of law systems.

> I'm quite fond of existentialism - forget the angst , you get to
> create yourself. That's optimistic. It was the French who made made
> it gloomy tho' I suspect that Sartre did that because it was a good
> way to pull chicks.

Not sure ; I think Sartre was himself deeply pessimistic. But far less than
Cioran !

> I delight constantly in the contradictions of French thinking and
> society.

We do too ;-)

> Develop a philosophy that values acting impulsively. Why not

It does exist. We call it 'Bushism'. :->

--
Manuel Viet