[OM] Re: OT What's happening in Europe?

Subject: [OM] Re: OT What's happening in Europe?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 14:29:19 -0700
Manuel Viet wrote:
> Not sure ; I think Sartre was himself deeply pessimistic. But far less than
> Cioran !

I really enjoy a bit of Cioran now and again. Oddly enough, it has the
opposite of what I assume to be the intended effect, giving me a boost
of cheerfulness and enjoyment. There seems to me to be such a fierce
engagement and enjoyment in his pessimism and perversity, that it's hard
not to be energized by it.

"We no longer dread tomorrow once we learn to take Nothingness into our
arms. Boredom works wonders; it converts vacuity into substance, it is
itself a fostering void."

The funny thing is that, under all those negative appearing words, this
part of his philosophy seem to me pretty close to the original version
of Taoism in Lao Tzu and some versions of Buddhism, only with a covering
camouflage of ennui. And even the idea of camouflage is in accordance
with early Taoism. I'm a lousy scholar, so I can't remember if it was
Lao Tzu or another who advised that if one wants a peaceful life, one
should, when asked how it is that one leads such an easy, abundant life,
actually the result of alignment with the Tao, that one should simply
attribute it to luck.

I suspect one of things Cioran wrote that gives a great insight into his
character and writings is "You cannot protect your solitude if you
cannot make yourself odious."

Moose