[OM] Re: Avoiding Red EYE w/ T-32

Subject: [OM] Re: Avoiding Red EYE w/ T-32
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 09:17:45 -0400
Thought I'd add a related data point.  I checked the shoe cord in a
Minolta FS-1100 (ISO style hot shoe adapter to Minolta proprietary) and
also my Canon 5D.  The shoe cord does not get stuck in either of them.
  Both cameras have their control pins behind the trigger pin whereas
the OM pins are in front.  So, the signal pins from camera and flash do
not mate but the TTL and flash ready pins get shorted to ground in the
Minolta adapter.  They sit on insulating plastic in the 5D.

I tried firing the flash on the 5D and it works fine either in the hot
shoe or on the shoe cord.  I'll have to try this out in place of my
Sunpak 422's on the next shoot.

I didn't try firing the T-32 from the Minolta A1.  Since the TTL and
flash ready pins are shorted to ground I don't think the camera is in
any danger but I'm not sure about the T-32.

Perhaps AG has already risked a T-32 and knows the answer.  Or maybe Tim
Hughes (who knows the innards of the T-32) can answer too.

Chuck Norcutt

---------------------------
Have you actually tried the shoe cord in the E-500 hot shoe?  I was
reviewing a bunch of old notes from John Lind on Sunpak flash.  In one
he comments that the OT-1D (Olympus dedicated module for Sunpak 422D and
others) is like the T-32 in that a non-conductive pin is used to lift
the TTL and flash ready signal pins when the module is inserted into a
non-OM hot shoe.

He contrasts this behavior with the TTL shoe cord which does not have
this "lift the pins" arrangement.  Consequently, the pins remain down
and are potentially shorted.  In addition, when he inserted the shoe
cord into the hot shoe of his Mamiya M645 the protruding pins caused the
shoe cord to get jammed in the shoe.  He had to disassemble the hot shoe
to get the shoe cord back out.

Chuck Norcutt