[OM] Re: Avoiding Red EYE w/ T-32

Subject: [OM] Re: Avoiding Red EYE w/ T-32
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:23:25 -0400
I wasn't worried about the PC connection.  It's protected to 400 volts
and I use that with various flashes all the time.  What I was concerned
about was the T-32's TTL and flash ready pins being shorted to ground in
the Minolta FS-1100 hot shoe adapter.  It plugs into the proprietary hot
shoe on the A1 and converts it to the 3 pin ISO standard configuration
that they used on their early TTL flashes before changing the design of
the shoe.

It's unclear what voltage level the A1's hot shoe is good for but I
don't think the T-32's (12 volts?) is likely to harm it.  The Canon 5D's
hot shoe (and the 20D also) are good to 250 volts.  Not so with the 10D
and earlier Canon DSLR's.  They're only good to 6 volts.  Strange, but
higher voltage over a long period of time damages the shutter mechanism.

Chuck Norcutt