[OM] Re: Anti Virus software - OT

Subject: [OM] Re: Anti Virus software - OT
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:54:55 -0400
I concur.  I refuse to use either and also choose AVG.  I don't use
McAfee since it was what I was required to use at work in two different
places.  It was so long that I can't recall the circumstances but McAfee
did something truly stupid that caused us much anguish.

I was for many years a faithful user of Norton Anti-Virus up to Norton
SystemWorks 2001.  As a former IBM employee I used IBM anti-virus until
IBM sold the group off to Symantec and they combined forces.  It was
natural to continue using Norton from that point.  Then one day my
daughter complained about Norton causing problems on her Win98 system.
I asusmed it was Win98 specific trouble and the next time I visited her
I tried to remove it.  I could not.  Lots of digging at Symantec showed
this was not an isolated incident and I downloaded pages and pages of
special manual removal instructions.  After going through it all there
was still something somewhere in some sort of auto start list causing
problems.  Probably config.sys or some such but my DOS skills were too
rusty to trace it down.

Later on, when I tried to renew my anti-virus subscription for
SystemWorks 2001 Symantec advised me the program was no longer supported
and I would have to upgrade at a higher cost than what I'd paid in the
first place.  At that point I decided I'd look around to see what was
available and someone here (maybe Simon?) recommended AVG.  So I
downloaded AVG and figured I'd better remove SystemWorks 2001.  Hah!
Just try it!  I ran into the same kind of stuff on my Win 2000 machine
as my daughter's Win 98 machine.  No matter what I did (including
following Symantec's long winded manual removal instructions) I couldn't
get it all out.  I finally resorted to manually searching the registry
for anything that looked even remotely related.  I'm still not sure I
got it all.  As a former software development guy I'm suspicious that
Symantec outsourced to someplace cheap and sent the QC group packing.

Anyhow, Symantec and McAfee are not my friends.  I'll stick with AVG.

Chuck Norcutt