[OM] Re: Anti Virus software - OT

Subject: [OM] Re: Anti Virus software - OT
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 13:21:13 -0700
ScottGee1 wrote:
> Chuck, my experience with Norton is eerily similar to yours, right
> down to the removal problems.  I still have remnants.

I've been using Norton for what seems like forever and it has always
worked and caused no problems.

However, my newish laptop came with Norton Internet Security 2005 free
for a while. It ran fine, did what it was supposed to and stayed out of
the way, as does the same system on my desktop. So I bought the 2006
version, which was cheaper with a rebate than renewing the subscription
on 2005. It installed ok, but the first time I downloaded list mail in
Thunderbird, it popped up a polite little screen saying it was sorry,
but it had to close. So far, it does hat every time, sometimes leaving
internet connectivity working, sometimes not. I've gone one round with
live chat support that hasn't worked, working up the courage for
another. The AV isn't the problem, though.
> Out of the desperation born of fear, I checked online reviews and
> subsequently purchased McAfee's VirusScan 2005.  It had the highest
> overall scores and with a CompUSA coupon was almost free.  It
> installed easily, updated via Web relatively quickly and promptly took
> over my computer.  It slowed to a crawl, particularly with any task
> related to the Internet.  I had a sense of McAfee interrupting every
> event that occurred on my system and minutely examining it for
> trouble.  It was agonizing so I turned it off.

I had the same experience. The product was worth less than the $0 I paid
after various coupons, rebates. I wonder if it is a problem with older,
slower machines. This was a laptop running W98. McAfee did so much
messing around, advising me, cajoling me and communing with the net,
that an already rather leisurely boot up became intolerable. Overall, it
just made the machine unusable. I just got rid of it.

I recall that PC Mag gave ZoneAlarm it's highest rating in its last
roundup. Certainly the ZoneAlarm firewall works well.

Moose