[OM] Film scanner + Vuescan opinions wanted

Subject: [OM] Film scanner + Vuescan opinions wanted
From: Philip Pemberton <philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 22:39:43 +0100
Hi,
   I'm currently in the market for a film scanner. At the moment, I'm looking
into getting a second-hand Minolta dImage Scan Dual III, a Nikon Coolscan
LS-2000 or a Nikon Coolscan IV ED.

   Does anyone here own or use any of these scanners? What are your opinions
on it?

   I'm really only interested in something that has better scan quality than
my Epson Perfection 2400 Photo (which is a great little flatbed, but for
negative scanning it's a bit poor - focus is dire, and you lose a lot of
detail). Resolution-wise, 2900dpi or thereabouts would be fine. Feel free to
make any other suggestions, but my price limit is (at the absolute most) £200
so don't go suggesting a Minolta dImage Elite 5400 or anything like that. I'm
working off a student budget so don't really have much to spend.

   Interface-wise, USB would be great, but SCSI is OK too assuming I can get a
cheapish SCSI card for it.

   If anyone on-list is selling a scanner broadly similar to the ones I've
mentioned, please let me know offlist. I'd prefer to buy from someone in
Europe, if only because the nice folks at HM Customs and Excise have been
getting better at picking out expensive items and charging VAT accordingly (I
have no problem with paying VAT, what I object to is the obscene 'handling
fee').

   I'm also toying with the idea of buying a copy of Hamrick Software's
"Vuescan" scanner driver. I've read a few reviews and played with the demo,
but I'd like to hear from people who use it. Do you think it's worth the
money? Is it better (in terms of scan quality and accuracy) than the driver
that came with your scanner? What scanner are you using with it?

Thanks.
--
Phil.                         | Kitsune: Acorn RiscPC SA202 64M+6G ViewFinder
philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx         | Cheetah: Athlon64 3200+ A8VDeluxeV2 512M+100G