[OM] Re: OT Another Dead Cat Day

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Another Dead Cat Day
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 06:38:22 -0500
Walt Wayman wrote:
<snip>
> found her unable to stand and breathing weakly.  We called our vet,
> who specializes in cats, and had an appointment at 11:00  to have her
> "put down."  But Izzy didn't last that long and died peacefully in my
> wife's lap just before 10:00.

My wife, being an inveterate cat person, has had quite a number of cats
over the years.  Most of ours have lived to 18 years or more, the most
common cause of death has been kidney failure.

A couple of years ago, her favorite, a longhaired orange cat named
Sheba, developed a tumor in her ear.  We had it removed, but it came
back. All of our previous losses happened naturally, but she finally got
up the courage to have Sheba put down.  Like Izzy, she died in her lap
while waiting to go to the vet.

Another one, a longhaird black-and-white named Oreo that we had just
adopted 6 months previously, had undiagnosed abdominal cancer that took
him down in one day - in the morning he ate breakfast and saw us off to
work.  When we came home, he was lying on his side, listless, breathing
heavily.  We rushed off to the kitty ER, but he died on her lap just as
we pulled into the parking lot.

The last one we lost, an orange shorthair named Louie that I had
actually brought home as a kitten, also had a tumor in his ear in
addition to failing kidneys.  This time, Sheri made the call to have him
put down, and we did make it to the vet.  This vet had been treating him
for several months, and had grown quite attached to him. He was visibly
shaken when he succumbed to the injection and passed peacefully away.

I wasn't a cat person until I married Sheri - in fact, I was allergic.
Had to work through that, since it was obvious the cats weren't going
anywhere....

Now, I wake up every morning with a beautiful platinum-grey Ragdoll
named Mittens all stretched out and snuggled up to my back.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"There's a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon