[OM] Re: Film scanner + Vuescan opinions wanted

Subject: [OM] Re: Film scanner + Vuescan opinions wanted
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 13:59:51 -0700
Philip Pemberton wrote:
> Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> You just don't understand the real criteria yet.  Decide for infra-red
>> dust elimination above all else.
>>
> The problem being it adds a fair bit to the price tag. Most of my negatives
> are stored in plastic or paper pouches, so dust shouldn't be a problem. If I
> end up scanning a really dusty negative, I'll probably end up using a
> blower-brush to blast the dust off, or use isopropyl if it's got grease or
> fingerprints on it. That seems to be what Kodak are recommending now that
> TCE is no longer available.
I did scanning without IR dust removal for quite a while. I think
atmospheric conditions have an effect. At least where I live, where it
is never really desert dry, it wasn't a big problem with careful
technique. My major approach was Dust-Off. If I still were doing it, I
would try the Swiffer (some other brand name there) technique that's
been discussed here and the ionizer gun I discovered during a discussion
of sensor cleaning.

Moose