[OM] Re: a turtle

Subject: [OM] Re: a turtle
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 07:14:16 -0500
Wayne Culberson wrote:

> My wife and I were travelling through a stretch of wilderness Sunday
> afternoon, coming home from a funeral, when we saw this one as it was
> crossing the road. Jean was reluctant to get too close, but I needed
> something in the picture for scale. You don't see them much bigger than this
> in our neck of the woods. I've never been able to get a good picture of a
> turtle, but this is my latest effort.. Shooting from above doesn't seem to
> do it, and front on gives DOF problems.  It was raining, and I didn't have a
> polarizer with me to cut down on reflections. I sometimes turn them over to
> get a picture from the bottom, but I hesitated to nudge this fellow over
> with my foot as I thought he might take a chunk out of the dress shoe I was
> wearing.

That's quite possible....

That's your classic Chelydra Serpentina, or common American snapper.
That's definitely a full adult, a little bigger than my oldest one,
Zaphod.  They're mostly aquatic, so this guy was on his way from one
pond to another.

The way to pick them up is by the base of the tail, but depending on the
turtle's weight it may damage the tail vertebrae, so unless it's in
immediate danger, best to just let him move on his own.  They're a lot
more aggressive when they're out of water.

Mine are both captive-bred and very tame. The smaller one is 6" long,
and I've had him since he was hatched.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"There's a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon