[OM] Re: OT Another Dead Cat Day

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Another Dead Cat Day
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 07:42:53 -0500
Walt Wayman wrote:

> Exactly what is it with ragdolls that they have to be in the middle
> of everything we do? I am crowded in the bed each night by 33 pounds
> of ragdolls, the resident circus brothers, Barnum and Bailey. I
> haven't been to the bathroom alone in the nearly six years since they
> came to live with us. If I close the door and shut them out, they
> scratch and bang on it and yell "Let us in" in cateese. Barnum is
> sitting in the chair beside me as I type this.  He wants to help, and
> he wants the mouse.  When he was a kitten, he chewed a mouse cord
> completely in two.

Dunno.  It's just the way their furry little brains are wired.  Our
first, a seal-point named Chandy, used to be the only ragdoll and would
sleep with us every night.  Then our shorthair, Simba, started sleeping
next to me.  Then we brought Mittens into the house and right off the
bat, the moment he stepped out of the carrier, he said "OK.  I'm the
alpha male now, this is MY house, these are MY humans, and to hell with
the rest of you."  Chandy and Simba haven't been in the bed since.  And
Mittens is at least two years younger than both of them.

I had to laugh at the bathroom comment... ragdolls simply HATE closed
doors.  Funny thing, though - Chandy will yell and pound on the door
until you open it, then he'll either just sit in the door way or just
walk away, satisfied that the door is now open.  Mittens, however,
insists on jumping up in your lap, something that is fraught with
potential for injury.  He's also the one who has to sit on the newspaper
or whatever you're doing that takes your total attention away from him.
  Chandy, however, has to be where he can see you, but otherwise just
doesn't care.  He does, however, do the classic ragdoll "broken kitty"
thing when you pick him up.  And occasionally we'll find him sleeping
with half of his body pointing in a completely different direction from
the other half.

Mittens is currently lying next to me, staring at me with that "You
better not be talking about ME to those people" look...