[OM] Re: a turtle

Subject: [OM] Re: a turtle
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 07:48:18 -0500
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Thanks, Paul.  I didn't know about damaging the tail vertebrae but did
> try to pick up the one I moved as near the base of the tail as possible.
>   Hope I didn't hurt him but I'm pretty sure he'd have been toast if I
> didn't.  I can vouch for the aggressive part.  He was not a happy camper
> but maybe I was causing him pain as well.

It's a tossup.  That's the only safe way to pick up an unfamiliar
snapper.  As long as it was just the short distance you did, he should
have been fine.  Also, if he didn't struggle much, he should be fine.
And a little pain in the butt is better than getting run over by a truck.

Mine, being tame, allow me to grab them right behind the front legs.  It
accomplishes two things - first, they can feel me so they don't freak
when they go airborne, and they can't reach directly back.  However,
they're tame enough to just sit there until I pick them up.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"There's a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon