[OM] Re: OT Vacation report

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Vacation report
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 08:16:02 -0500
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Sorry to hear you're out of a job.  But I'm not surprised that the
> cowardly bastards acted as cowardly bastards.  It's all too common.  I
> think the change came about when the "Personnel Department" came to be
> known as "Human Resources".  You can get rid of "resources" just like
> old desks and machines.

Yep.

Biggest problem is that the two partners in our office are lazy and have
put themselves on the status quo glide path to retirement about 10 years
before they should, so our office growth has stagnated.  Naturally,
rather than address the fact that the partners have no interest in
picking up new clients, they just start whacking the more "disposable
resources".

The one thing that I can take comfort in is that the one partner who is
exceptionally high-maintenance, typically working for an hour on a
spreadsheet, then forgetting to save it before closing it, or forgetting
WHERE he saved it, or any of at least a dozen other boneheaded
computer-related moves that I've gotten adept at rescuing over the last
six years, will now have to try and figure things out on his own or wait
until the part-time network admin comes in at the end of the week.

And the new HR person in our office is a loose cannon.  She's one of
those who will be all friendly with you while trying to get you to say
something she can use against you later.  And she has a tendency to tell
you lots of personal details about another employee, stuff which is none
of my business to start with, and certainly NOT something she should be
telling anyone.  And I found out that some of the stuff she was telling
me about a co-worker who is also a friend of mine is not only something
my friend didn't tell her, but also is absolutely not even true.  So
she's making stuff up as well.

I'm OK with being out of the developing climate in that office.  I would
just have preferred to have another job lined up first....

What's sad is that I wore my Dibert tie Monday morning for my exit
meeting, and the sublety of that statement was completely lost on the
two people who fired me.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"There's a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon