[OM] Re: Vacation report

Subject: [OM] Re: Vacation report
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 09:05:36 +1000
Today I'm hoping for a little cowardice.
Today I retire (well technically in a couple of weeks - it's the end
of term and by doing that I get paid for the vacation too). And
technically I've been on 'sick leave' for the last three weeks
anyway. I'll still lose about a year's worth of entitlements on
retirement.
Time to take the money and run.
A friend is on exactly the same timeline and had a retirement dinner
on Wednesday.
To my surprise, the college principal who screwed us both over 18
months ago (by basically dumping us from the job we'd been doing well
for ten years into a far less pleasant position) turned up for the
dinner and delivered a dull, flat valedictory speech. Clearly the man
has no character, sensitivity or sense of occasion. The whole thing
reeked of 'I'm just doing my duty.' Nasty. The man has systematically
destroyed everything we achieved in the previous setting. My friend
showed admirable restraint. He didn't say anything. Or assault him.
I'm hoping sincerely that said 'leader' is cowardly and isn't
planning to show up today. I lack that restraint.
Fortunately I now work for a few people who seem to both appreciate
and admire what I can do - and say so. That does wonders for the ego
and the energy levels. I wish all those finding themselves
temporarily unemployed similar experiences.

I'll be signing off for a while after the weekend - nice long trip in
the countryside (well, desert to be exact). I've heard that it's
possible to achieve great things with a mere 30 days in the
wilderness so after 60 days I should be ready to do some serious
damage. At the very least it should get rid of the bad taste in my
mouth...
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx