[OM] Another stupid question

Subject: [OM] Another stupid question
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 18:49:07 +0000
I have rearranged the area that was formerly my home office into what is now my
home playroom.  I have the new super Dell hooked up to two scanners and three
printers, among other goodies.  One of the printers is a freebie that came with
my wife's computer over three years ago and which hadn't been out of the box
until I decided I could use it for those times when color was more appropriate
than B&W from the Kyocera laser printer, but not worth the waste of ink from
the Epson 2200 -- stuff like maps, etc.

Anyway, I decided to check the Epson website today and see if there was an
updated driver for this little toy.  Upon doing so, I found that there's one
from only a couple of weeks ago denominated as "Third Party Accounting Software
Patch," and described thusly: "This self-extracting file contains the Third
Party Print Accounting Software Patch for Windows XP. This patch improves
compatibility with selected third party print accounting software in Windows
XP."

I admit, when it comes to computer stuff, I'm dumber than dirt, but I've got to
ask: What the hell is "third party accounting software," and why does it need a
patch?  Is it leaking air and going flat?  Do I need it?  And if so, what the
**** for?

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from